Saturday, November 1, 2014

I've been in the mood to redo a few things around the house. This past week I painted and decoupaged a little chest of drawers I've had in the bathroom for years.

This is what it looked like when I purchased it:


And this is what it looked like after I was finished with the redo:


You can't see it in the photo, but the top is painted black. I wanted to stain the entire top, but after stripping off the paint I found out the top underneath was Formica. Plan B? Black paint on the top with a cherry stain on the pressed wood edge.

The things I decoupaged onto it were cut from decorative napkins. Since they are so thin they give somewhat of a painterly look to it.

I'm considering giving it a very light wash of antiquing, but for now I'm happy with it just as it is.

That bow in the first photo? It turns out it wasn't wood glued on (which I suspected) but plastic put in with very thin nails... it was a breeze to pry it off. I spackled all the indents and changed the hardware to inobtrusive (and inexpensive!) silvertone from Home Depot.

I had a color in mind and was able to mix it up from an off white and a turquoise I already had on hand. The cherry stain and black paint were also on my shelves.

The total outlay was the 3.98 plus tax for 2 sets of napkins (most of which remain) and about 5 for the pulls.

I may be looking around for something else to decoupage soon. It was fun :D

No comments: